Eating is OK

Thursday, December 06, 2007

More on Cheese Balls

As I made my cheese balls this year I paid more attention to what I really put into them. The fact is, I don't follow the recipe. Here it is with the modifications:

For two small cheese balls:

1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese
4 oz. 10 oz. cheddar cheese, grated I think more cheddar goes in every year
1 oz. crumbled blue cheese This year I'm trying a smoked blue
3/4 cup one 6 oz. pkg. chopped pecans or 1/3 c. cracked peppercorns to coat (you could also use parsley, etc.)

grate the cheese while it is still cold. Then let all ingredients come to room temperature. Mix thoroughly in food processor. Spread the coating materials out on two squares of plastic wrap, and divide the cheese evenly onto the coating materials. Carefully shape into a ball while rolling it around in the coatings. Since it is quite soft, it gets all over, but eventually it works. Place in a round bowl and gather the plastic wrap up and twist to seal. Let it chill, then serve with the round side up.

Here I am, set up to start.



Don't worry about chopping things too finely.



Blop the cheese mixture onto the prepared coating.



You can use the plastic wrap to push the coating onto the bottom of the cheese.



Once you've gotten a start, the coating will keep your fingers out of the cheese.



Don't worry about trying to have every bit of cheese covered.



Pull up the edges of the plastic wrap and shape into a ball.



The final product, ready for the tree decorating party on Sunday:

1 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Blogger Kate Robertson said...

Tan these look good and easy to make. I am looking for new things to do this year so I think I will try your cheese balls. Thanks for posting them.

Kate

 

Post a Comment

<< Home